Functional and Phylogenetic Classification of Membrane Transport Proteins
The database details a comprehensive IUBMB approved classification system for membrane transport proteins known as the Transporter Classification (TC) system. The TC system is analogous to the Enzyme Commission (EC) system for classification of enzymes, except that it incorporates both functional and phylogenetic information. Curated annotations, TC numbers, and external references for 1676 families of transport proteins are provided. Transport systems are classified on the basis of five criteria, and each of these criteria corresponds to one of the five numbers or letters within the TC accession for a particular type of transporter.
(you can find more detailed information about the TC system HERE.)
Some facts about TCDB:
- » TCDB is a curated database of factual information from 20891 published references
- » The database contains 21905 protein sequences
- » These proteins are classified into 1676 transporter families based on the TC-System
-  Saier MH, Reddy VS, Moreno-Hagelsieb G, Hendargo KJ, Zhang Y, Iddamsetty V, Lam KJK, Tian N, Russum S, Wang J, Medrano-
Soto A. (2021). The Transporter Classification Database (TCDB): 2021 update. Nucleic Acids Res. 49(D1):D461-7 
-  Saier MH, Reddy VS, Tsu BV, Ahmed MS, Li C, Moreno-Hagelsieb G. (2016). The Transporter Classification Database (TCDB):
recent advances. Nucleic Acids Res. 44(D1):D372–9 
-  Saier MH, Reddy VS, Tamang DG, Vastermark A. (2014). The transporter classification database.
Nucl. Acids Res. 42(D1):D251-8 
-  Saier MH Jr, Yen MR, Noto K, Tamang DG, Elkan C. (2009). The Transporter Classification Database: recent advances,
Nucl. Acids Res. 37:D274-8. 
-  Saier MH Jr, Tran CV, Barabote RD. (2006). TCDB: the Transporter Classification Database for membrane transport protein
analyses and information, Nucl. Acids Res. 34:D181-6.